Amazon in "Garfield"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    jsimon
    Participant

So Garfield the cat is getting a sitter while John is at a New Years Eve party. Her name is Greta. I'm grateful that an amazon women is being featured here, but she looks rediculously manly. I know it's a friggin cartoon and nothing as sophisticated as the great DCM, but this does nothing to help the cause of promoting muscular women. JMO.

Lingster
    Keymaster

The American Gladiators blowback begins.

Ashlee
    Participant

I'm getting to the point of why brothing to work out.

It could not be some Cute  girl who works out and is very muscular.
    and Jon is hot for her, Noooo !something is funny when there is a grain of truth running through it.
    This is not funny. :-[

demented20
    Participant

I'm getting to the point of why brothing to work out.

It could not be some Cute  girl who works out and is very muscular.
    and Jon is hot for her, Noooo !something is funny when there is a grain of truth running through it.
    This is not funny.

I was talking to my brother about this subject the other night.  The girl he's dating is planning on doing at least one figure show in '08.  And she's not shy at all about wearing sleevless shirts and whatnot. Anyway, she gets hit on pretty regularly when she's out.  Even once while me and my brother were standing there. I thought that was hiliarious and so did she, but my brother didn't.. go figure.

But keep working out for lots of reasons.  People might laugh when they see something like that Garfield strip, but in real life… they just ask girls like my bro's girlfriend to flex  8)

And no, I'm jealous of my brother's luck… ok maybe just a little.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Its a gag strip, this is not unexpected.  I saw it yesterday in the paper, and at first glance I was none too pleased with "she-male / germanic" portrail of a buffed woman, but taken within the context of the comic, the expressions of Garfield and Odie in the first two panels are priceless.

Realistically speaking, with the steady decline of the dinosaur media (aka: major city newspapers) there isn't that many non-gag strips (read: drama) for us to expect a positive portrail of femuscle to originate out of.  Bout the only two I can think of off-hand would be "Brenda Starr" and "For Better or For Worse", and I don't think she's going to be turned into a red-haired Amazon anytime soon, anymore then Elizabeth or April are going to start working out at the local gym.

Though if they did by some miracle, I would expect a subtle spike in circulation.  😉

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

cpbell0033944
    Participant

Comic strips (i.e. the funny ones) will always find new funny material.  I'm not worried. :-

Muscle Growth Nut
    Participant

Its a gag strip, this is not unexpected.  I saw it yesterday in the paper, and at first glance I was none too pleased with "she-male / germanic" portrail of a buffed woman, but taken within the context of the comic, the expressions of Garfield and Odie in the first two panels are priceless.

Yeah, that's what they're going for. She's supposed to be comically intimidating. It wouldn't be funny if she were cute.

Vollar-Tile
    Participant

Yeah, that's what they're going for. She's supposed to be comically intimidating. It wouldn't be funny if she were cute.

I dunno, that last scene with that huge hand would be funny no matter how pretty or ugly she looked. Jon's expression there is hilarious, and yet you instantly relate to it the moment you see that massive hand.

Muscle Growth Nut
    Participant

I dunno, that last scene with that huge hand would be funny no matter how pretty or ugly she looked. Jon's expression there is hilarious, and yet you instantly relate to it the moment you see that massive hand.

Ah, but as it continues…

10-4
    Participant

That's a good find.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.