Another experiment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    whitemott2004
    Participant

I've finally managed to work through the basics on morph transfers and dynamic clothing with Poser 6.  Since the test turned out okay, I figured I'd post it for others viewing pleasure.

If anyone out there has some time to explain bump maps and textures, or can point me to a good tutorial on how to create them, please let me know.

TC2
    Participant

Well I know what bump maps and textures are but I don't know how to create a bump map, textures I know a little bit.

Bumpmap – Bumpmap is basically what adds "depth" to a texture.  Let's say you create a ramp which is going to later be a flight of stairs.  You don't want to go through the trouble of modelling each individual stair step and therefore instead make a solid ramp.  With bump mapped textures, you can put the texture of stairs and make it look like you are walking up individual steps, even though it is a solid ramp.  Basically it will look like you are climbing stairs due to the bump mapping adding depth, but if you look at the stairs from the side you will see that it is just a simple flat ramp.

Textures – Textures are a huge part in making a model realistic.  An object with out a texture is simply plain, image say a simple sphere with a flat color of blue.  Now let's say you want that sphere to be an object like a basketball, you create the basketball skin which wraps around the sphere.  Now you have a texture!

With some models you definitey need Photoshop in order to create the skins for posers, some models come with the skin already while others only have the basics.  I don't know anything about creating bump maps or textures in poser, for other games I do however.

Hope that helps you out!

whitemott2004
    Participant

Textures and such I'm relatively familiar with.  I've had absolutely no luck with actually using greyscale images to "displace" the skin to produce veins, softer ridges, etc, with bump maps in the material room on Poser 6.  Thanks for the help though.

Dr.Otto
    Participant

For bump maps, be sure the base color is 50% greyscale. Veins and the like will rise up out of the texture, so they should be lighter than the base grey. Stuff like striations and other things that dig into the muscle surface would be a bit darker grey than the base grey. You might even want to drop a bit of a mild 'noise' pattern over the base grey to simulate irregularities in the skin and make it appear less shiny (a common problem in most 3D modelling is a synthetic, plasticky look).

10-4
    Participant

Impressive work

whitemott2004
    Participant

I think I finally got it… thoughts?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.