Definitions including “Morph” vs “Manip”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    phenoms
    Participant

This community needs to un-learn the incorrect use of the term “morph” which is a particular pet-peeve of mine that I am constantly pointing out. It’s about time I created a thread for it.

A “morph” is a term used to refer to a computer generated animation that gradually transitions one image into another image before your eyes. Michael Jackson’s Black Or White video is a perfect example of that. I have linked to the end of the video starting at time index 5:27 where different faces morph from one to the next. Morphing involves computer programs that apply mathematical algorithms and use fixed markers like eyes, nose, mouth, etc as guides to identify similarities and to transition pixels and regions from one image into another in a process of steps that occur frame by frame.

Morphing is very different from “photo manipulation” which is the correct terminology. A “manip” (for short) has various types. A straight manip is warping and resizing regions of a subject and applying different tools and techniques available to the artist by their chosen software to create an “Enhancement”, or “Reduction”, or a “Reshaping”. There is “Frankensteining” which is cutting out desired body parts from two or more subjects and recombining them into a re-imagined new subject. And there is “Airbrushing” which is re-painting areas of a subject to add, remove, and reshape.

Link to end of Michael Jackson’s Black Or White video at time index 5:27 where different faces morph from one to the next…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2AitTPI5U0&feature=player_detailpage#t=327s

Just a sidebar, but within the GTS and SW communities, they use the term “collage” for their photo manips, which are just straight cut and pastes of selected figures to the new background.

*This is a repost of: http://amaz0ns.com/forum/Muscular-Women-Art/103011-would-anyone-be-interested-in-morphing-a-pic-or-2#103458

My Deviant Art Page (old stuff):
    phenoms.deviantart.com

My Booru Gallery (new stuff):
    phenoms.booru.org

Also
    www.thevalkyrie.com/picthumb/p/phenoms/index00.htm
    www.thevalkyrie.com/picthumb/p/phenom_fett/index00.htm

TC2
    Participant

Bro, I don’t mean to bust your balls but getting upset over things like this severely reduces your probable outcome of getting laid.

Besides, it won’t work considering some forum members still use the word “Buff” to describe scrawny slightly tone girls.

phenoms
    Participant

Bro, I don’t mean to bust your balls but getting upset over things like this severely reduces your probable outcome of getting laid.

It’s an almost all male board so I certainly HOPE it redces me chances of getting laid here! And kindly leave my balls alone, its creeping me out. :blink:

-Phenoms (Who quickly crosses to the other side of the room.)

phenoms.deviantart.com

phenoms.booru.org

Also

FlakBait
    Keymaster

It’s an almost all male board so I certainly HOPE it redces me chances of getting laid here! And kindly leave my balls alone, its creeping me out. :blink:

-Phenoms (Who quickly crosses to the other side of the room.)

Well that’s the last time I send you flowers you ungrateful bastard!!!! :angry:

unkn0wnx
    Participant

Thanks for clearing it up. Yes I hate it when people use incorrect terms.

phenoms
    Participant

Thanks for clearing it up. Yes I hate it when people use incorrect terms.

Thanks for the support. :cheer:

phenoms.deviantart.com

phenoms.booru.org

Also

Or just call them ‘fake’ and be done with it:)

phenoms
    Participant

Or just call them ‘fake’ and be done with it:)

As many hours can go into creating such fantasy images, I believe that whether the artist cares or not, that using proper terminology is a respectful “hat tip”. Stetsons are only cool because you can hat tip. B)

phenoms.deviantart.com

phenoms.booru.org

Also

unkn0wnx
    Participant

I think its good to catch the error early. Instead of keep using the wrong terminology till its so common that it become accepted.

phenoms
    Participant

I think its good to catch the error early. Instead of keep using the wrong terminology till its so common that it become accepted.

If only that were the case. “Morph” has been used incorrectly within the femuscle community since we first had the World Wide Web become available to us. I’m betting it even dates back further than that to Usenet and even to Bulletin Board Systems (BBSes) back in the days of using modems to dial into isolated BBS servers.

No matter how long the term has been misused, it is always worth trying to set things on the right course. That’s the nice thing about language; it’s malleable and always evolving. I’ve been correcting people for over 16 years on this one. It was about time I tried making a forum post to bring the matter a bit more attention than one-on-one. :S

phenoms.deviantart.com

phenoms.booru.org

Also

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.