Fan Fiction Posting Rules

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lingster
    Keymaster

1. Anyone intending to post fan fiction here must read this article on the topic prior to posting and follow the guidelines described.
    2. Amaz0ns makes no claim of rights ownership of any stories posted on the site.
    3. Stories may not depict sexual activity by minors.
    4. Stories must include a disclaimer indicating that the writer is not the owner of the characters.
    5. Stories will be removed from this board upon receipt of a request via email by the true rights holder or the rights holder's counsel.
    Mark Newman
    Participant

Does this mean that, for example, we shouldn't post FMG stories with Superman/Supergirl on Amaz0ns?  Or just that the stories must say that that the author didn't invent Superman and doesn't claim to own the character?

Perhaps there is a standard form of disclaimer you should add to the sticky topic.

Mark

Lingster
    Keymaster

Good idea.  I'm trying to be careful with intellectual property rights on this new site, so I read up on fanfic and its legal status.  The quick answer is that nobody seems to have the first friggin' clue about where fanfic stands legally, but that it's a good idea and a nice thing to do to make clear that the story is a work of fan fiction and not an official product distributed by the owner of the character. 

So I'll see if I can find a good disclaimer and post it here.

Pug
    Participant

Not a bad summary of the IP issues involving Fanfiction.

Something I used on an old site I used to update was a disclaimer you had to check that said (Paraphrased) "Use of the links on this site signifies accepting this agreement that all stories accessible from here are eligible for protection under the parody exception of U.S. copyright law or equivalent local laws. Bypassing the cookie marking your acceptance of this disclaimer shall be considered a violation of an electronis means of protection as circumscribed by the U.S DMCA statute and pursued appropriately.

I don't know if it made any difference to any publisher investigating fanfiction, but it made me feel better about publishing the links.

Pug

minimanmax
    Participant

I guess I'll put my two cents in. I feel that it is proper to put the name of the owners of the copyrights and the creaters of the caracters you are using in your fan fic. You know to give credit where it is do. It's just commonsences I guess.

thanks for letting me say that.

Lingster
    Keymaster

I just want all parties to be reasonable.  I don't want fanfic authors to assume they have an absolute right to publish stories using other people's characters, and I don't want character owners to come storming in here with cease and desist letters, either.  If a license holder complains to me, I'll take it down because ultimately it's the owner's decision.  And I expect fanfic writers to make it clear that their work is fan fiction.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.