new wonder woman beginning WW#600

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    luvemhuge5699
    Participant

they have officially changed wonder woman. gone is her skimpy costume. gone is some of her powers. gone is her history on paradise island. read the article and tell me what you think of the new urban wonder woman.

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0630/Wonder-Woman-to-finally-start-wearing-pants

musclelover2002
    Participant

I don’t like it. We can no longer see her muscular arms or legs. I understand why they are doing it but by the same token I don’t read comics and judge them against reality or practicality. Hopefully this is just temporary.

I also thought that her previous chest plate was just not a strapless top but rather a piece of armor made by Hephaestus. I wonder if they are going to talk about where that went at all.

fasola
    Participant

Well, I really don’t like it. It doesn’t look heroic at all. Most of the DC heroes have manteined their look for over 60 years, and nobody said anything.

Also, I kind of feel this like “ultimate” Wonder Woman.

I have’t read the comics that lead tyo this “change” so I won’t talk about that.

Straczynski might be able to pull such a dramatic change in the story. Remember what happened when they changed her origins and everything back in the 70’s I think.

Each time a character has benn changed it wasn’t very popular (superman blue, anyone) even if the story was good.

I guess we will have to wait and see, but one of the relevant things in comic book heroes are their flashy costumes. I leave the more “realistic” look to the movie or TV aproach.

TC2
    Participant

What is it with Jim Lee and giving women tiny jackets? Rogue was another one that wore the short brown jacket. Personally though I liked his designs on the X-Men, I really hate what’s being done to Wonder Woman.

Nothing about that says Wonder Woman at all, it’s Wonder Girl or Black Canary with a red top. There’s nothing “greek” about the look and like the other posters have said, we don’t get to see her muscular body featured at all in this outfit.

The outfit looks too young for Wonder Woman’s age, I don’t mind revamping costumes once in a while, lord knows Lobo needed it. But this doesn’t match Wonderwoman at all.

Holiday
    Participant

She looks like a grown up version of Sailor Mercury.

BlackKusanagi
    Participant

I have mixed feelings about all of this. But well see as the issues come along.

Dusty B
    Participant

Boy, do I hate this. Several thoughts:

1) it makes her look too young. She’s Wonder WOMAN, not Wonder Teen. But, they’re probably gearing up for a half-assed movie, where she’ll be played by some waify tween, not a 30-something with actual emotional and dramatic heft.

2) it makes her look too ordinary. I know I’m in the minority, but I didn’t think her old costume was cheesy. I thought it was epic. WW was made by GODS. She’s an AMAZON. She can kick ass like the demigod she is, and not have her parts fall out. She showed up in that thing, and crooks would say, “Uh, oh. She’s gonna hand us our asses.” She shows up in this, and they’re gonna say, “Oh, look, she shops at the Gap.”

3) Costume aside, I like the sample page art style. I still think she looks too young. But she’s still pretty fine….for a cartoon.

4) What is DC’s fascination with de-powering her? Some of us like the idea of a buxom Amazon who’s smart, sexy, and capable of smacking Superman around if he needs it. Just sayin.

I’m not too uspet by all of it, since I think it won’t last. Eventually, she’ll have to get things sorted out….can’t you just see the panel where she re-emerges in a less-updated version of the classic suit? It’ll make the wait till then worth it.

and finally,

THIS IS A PLOY. This is a grab by DC for sales, which I understand….this story even wound up in the NYT and on Yahoo’s front page. But this is mainly a ploy to set up her long-gestating movie deal. I DISTINCTLY remember a summary of the original screenplay, like 8 yrs ago, way back when Sandra Bullock was attached to it, and the reviewer basically said that while “WW still wore bracelets and a tiara and was superstrong and superfast, she was seriously depowered, and instead of the familiar ‘bathing suit’ she dressed in a black biker’s jacket, a sleeveless red top, and black leather pants.”

Sounds familiar, hmmm?

Paul Schilling
    Participant

I don’t know I perused it today in my friends store. The Jury (Like the Power Girl book) is still out. I seriously think that after a while they’ll go back to the same old (modified a bit) costume she’s worn since WWII 😛

FlakBait
    Keymaster

preview page of it in the comic
    [/URL]

besides, isn’t this one of those alt. timeline things? not like it’s going to spill over into her other comic appearances.

AlexG
    Keymaster

It not about art or story. DC is a corporation, its all about the bottom line and pushing product.

If you hate this then don’t spend your $$$ on the title.

They’ll get the message when they see the numbers of sales decline.

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.