Power Girl : Balloons vs Biceps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Paul Schilling
    Participant

I’ve been looking at a lot of art work for Power Girl and it seems Kara or Karen is getting extremely top heavy and is going back to a less or leaner look in the rest of her body. I dug out my copy of Justice League Europe #27 dated June of 1991 Power Girl had gone to the one piece gold and white. I would like to share this letter.

“Dear Eurologgers,
    I totally enjoyed JLE, especially the schtick (sic) between Power Girl and Batman in # 22. And speaking of Power Girl, please, I repeat: Please read my quiviering lips: PLEASE, bring back her old costume.
    I’ve been following her since 1976. The blonde bombshell had the right low-cuts, modesty and risqueness, due to a super costume. I love the book, but hate the new unisex costume. Bring the old one back, please.

(signed)

Kara thanks you for proving her new costume was a good choice. She no longer wants “low-cut” or “risqueness” and definitenly no longer wants to be reffered to as a “Bombshell, blonde or otherwise. And she also wants you to stop following her (so you’re the one eh?.)

That was eleven years a go during the “Bwah-ha-ha years when Keith Giffen, Gerald Jone and Bart Sears ere on the Book. I hereby recant this letter after seeing Powergirl becoming bigger and bigger and loosing muscle. I say lets shrink the boobs and give her a little bit more muscle (like in the Kingdom Series) and maybe give here some of the other white outfits like she did back in the seventies, yes including the one piece white gymnist outfits

GWHH
    Participant

I argee on shrinking on her boobs and adding muscle. I read someone (just recently) where that each new artist tries to makes her boobs BIGGER as joke to see how big they can go before someone tell them to stop.

But I am sure in time she will get smaller boobs and more muscles, these type of things go in cycle.

David C. Matthews
    Participant

Yes, if we have to have to have one or the other, let’s shrink the bosom and grow the biceps. The character’s name is “Power Girl” after all and she should look at least somewhat as powerful as she is.

Which has always been a gripe of mine concerning comics heroines. Find me a hero (besides Spider-Man) whose physique doesn’t look like a Mr. Olympia contender. “Well, they’re supposed to be super-muscular because they’re super-strong”*. But Wonder Woman? Supergirl? Power Girl? Why aren’t they portrayed with muscular physiques?** “Because we don’t like looking at women with muscles!!”

* Even Batman? Now there’s a character who ought to be drawn with a more slender “acrobat” physique as Spider-Man is usually drawn. (In fact, Stan Lee turned down Jack Kirby as the artist for the first Spider-Man story because Kirby’s rendition of the character was too “heroic”-looking.)

**Yes, I know there have been exceptions, but even She-Hulk is drawn muscular only about 50% of the time, if even that (outside of fan art).

GWHH
    Participant

here the issue (#22) where superman talks to PG about her “unique look” check out the ending of number 23 and see what you think of it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SE0NLJW0

Paul Schilling
    Participant

GWHH wrote:

I argee on shrinking on her boobs and adding muscle. I read someone (just recently) where that each new artist tries to makes her boobs BIGGER as joke to see how big they can go before someone tell them to stop.

But I am sure in time she will get smaller boobs and more muscles, these type of things go in cycle.

Been There Done That! Back in 1976 when regular comic book jumped to 30 cents Joe Staton and Keith Giffen drew DC’s “All Star Comics Present” written by former DC executive Paul Levitz and Gerry Conway. Inker’s were Wally Wood and Bob Layton… Wood was also an artist on the book. Power Girl first appeared in issue #58. Her “booby hatch closed in #68 because it became easier to draw her and Wood thought it was also sexier. As long as Wood drew and inked the book he started making PG top heavy a little at a time. He was caught and he said he just wanted to see how long it took people to notice.

When I sent my JLE letter in I just felt that PG’s ballooning was becoming TOO blatant that’s all. Now don’t get me wrong I love my big boobed muscle women, just as much as I love the small boobed women, but I’m a bit suprised that like you, my friends that statuesque only is the cup size and not the flexed size.

“Yes, if we have to have to have one or the other, let’s shrink the bosom and grow the biceps. The character’s name is “Power Girl” after all and she should look at least somewhat as powerful as she is.

Which has always been a gripe of mine concerning comics heroines. Find me a hero (besides Spider-Man) whose physique doesn’t look like a Mr. Olympia contender. “Well, they’re supposed to be super-muscular because they’re super-strong”*. But Wonder Woman? Supergirl? Power Girl? Why aren’t they portrayed with muscular physiques?** “Because we don’t like looking at women with muscles!!” ”

Thank you Mr Matthew’s I also agree with your comment. And I love the Work of Steve Ditko when he drew for Marvel in the early to mid sixties.

GWHH
    Participant

A neat little disscussion group about power girl and her two biggest assets!

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-20638.html

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20638

GWHH
    Participant

here a old comic photo of powergirl. Notice her muscular frame and MUCH small breasts. anyione know what year this is from?

platinumbird62
    Participant

That’s a late 70’s clip from All-Star Comics. I’d guess 1978.

sdsj
    Participant

All Star Super Squad #63

It’s now part of this book here, on amazon.

Mr Burroughs
    Participant

Nothing tops the Alex Ross version of PG in “Kingdom Come.” With very few scenes and not much backstory, Ross beefs her up considerably, and keeps the very large rack.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/cmaeditor/Power_Woman.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.