Strength and muscle mass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NecrochildK
    Participant

I was just wondering, what is the difference, if any, between a routine focusing on  building strength and one focusing on building muscle mass if anyone knows?

platinumbird62
    Participant

They are similar.  After all, strength correlates with muscle mass.

However, there are different types of weight training, from high weight/low rep to low weight/high rep, and all the way in between.

NecrochildK
    Participant

And what is each of them meant to accomplish?

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

To gain strength from weight lifting, you merely increase the repetitions (starting with 10 for a set and then moving to 12 and increasing in such a fashion) but have the weights at a constant level (ie: 20 kilo grams).
    To gain muscle, do the same ammount of repetitions but increase the weights (from 20 to 25 kilos) after each set (remembering to rest and stretch).

Those are the techiques which The Pimp hast always used and they have worked thus far.

If the words are confusing, dear Jeanne, then please say so and it shall be remedied.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

NecrochildK
    Participant

Ah, thank you. No, not confusing at all.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Ah, thank you. No, not confusing at all.

Then, you are most welcome, dear Jeanne.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Tolan
    Participant

To gain muscle, do the same ammount of repetitions but increase the weights (from 20 to 25 kilos) after each set (remembering to rest and stretch).

This never made sense to me.  If you use enough weight so that the last rep of the set is near impossible for you to do, then how can you do the same ammount of reps with even more weight?

NecrochildK
    Participant

Heh, I been thinking about that myself. It's hard pushing what I do now already. I dunno, maybe I've been trying to push too hard. The thing is, while it hurts at the time of the workout, I hardly have any ache the next day.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

This never made sense to me.  If you use enough weight so that the last rep of the set is near impossible for you to do, then how can you do the same ammount of reps with even more weight?

I's know not the scientific logic behind this but the reasoning goes: increasing the weight means the more resistance put on the muscle. The more resistence equals the more muscle fibers torn and the more that rebuild, thus increasing the muscle mass.
    Plus the challange to push one's self further.
    And you must always remember to rest and stretch between sets, to decrease the chance of serious injury and increase post workout recovery time.
    But that is what I's merely gleamed from my's experience, whilst others may have different views and experiences on this matter.
    If so, I's would be intersted to read them.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Tolan
    Participant

Well, the method that I've used and makes sense to me is that if you have a set that's 7-9reps, at most, you're not supposed to be able to perform the last rep by yourself (if you can, you need to increase the weight).  I agree on the rest and stretches.  The muscle needs SOME time to recoup after each set.

I didn't get much mass, and I blame it on two factors: infrequent workouts and improper diet.  I plan on fixing those fairly soon.  But, as you said, it differs from person to person.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.