Building Wrists

• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 19 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can you build your wrists at all?

If not, what should I do to strengthen them?

I have very skinny wrists and worry about them sometimes.

Trent Harlow
    Participant

Some gyms have a forearm/hand machine.  Works pretty well, unless you'd rather use free weights.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Not much you can do about the wrists, since that's bone, but what I think you're refering to is the forearm area.  Building them up increases grip strength, a must if you're going to do pull ups for the lats and shoulders (not the underhand form, that only works the biceps) or full body deadlifts (which not only increase total body strength but is also an excellent mass builder).

You could do reverse barbell curls – the movement is similar to regular standing bicep curls, but you use an overhand grip to perform the repetion.

Another would be curling a barbell (or one at at time using a dumbell, if you prefer) off of a supine bench (some like to use an incline bench or preacher bench to increase the intensity) with your forearms flat against it and curling upward using only your hands/wrists to contract the forearm muscles.  The motion can also be done standing – with your arms behind you, keeping them straight against your buttock and curling the barbell with hands/wrists in an upward motion to contract the forearm muscles.

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

There is no muscle on the wrists to build but you can strengthen them in order to help with your other workouts.
    The wrist joints are often far too neglected and much damage can be done without enforcing them properly against the rigors of training. This is known from experience.
    Martial Arts training is the best way to strengthen the wrists. Basics stretches, tension building and isometric excerises.
    You can also do inverse flexs with small weights to strengthen them but that is best left until you have bulid stengthen in your forearms.
    The best way to do these is to place your arm flat on a table or the like so it is extending away from your body but with the elbow tucked into your abdomine. Place a small weight (such as a light dumb bell or bar) on your palm, tighten your grip so you can feel the tendons pulling and then, as slowly as you possibly can, curl your hand towards you and then move it just as slowly back. Repeat up to ten times -do not do more than nessesary or damage may be done.
    Best you luck in your endevour.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Anonymous

Not much you can do about the wrists, since that's bone, but what I think you're refering to is the forearm area. 

Nope, I know my anatomy well enough to use the terms for what I'm referring to 😉

I heard there isn't much to do about the wrists, but in case any of you knew anything that might work, I posted here.

Pimp, I do those already. One thing I learned from my sifu is to get a long pole and to hold it at one end, then to move it up and down, keeping it steady, without bending my elbow. Any food I could eat that would be supplemental?

Lu
    Participant

I did notice your wrists were pretty small, but I wouldn't know what to do about that. My wrists are really thick and strong (as in rip a phone book in two strong. Seriously, my mum can do that and mine are even stronger than hers..) however my ankles are like made of glass x_X So… does anyone know what might help ankles?
    I know from my TKD that standing in a certain stance (forgot it's name) for a long time strengthens all of your legs (and god does it make them sore when you do repetitive punches for like 15 minutes x_X) but I was just wondering about specifically ankles…

Anonymous

I know from my TKD that standing in a certain stance (forgot it's name) for a long time strengthens all of your legs (and god does it make them sore when you do repetitive punches for like 15 minutes x_X) but I was just wondering about specifically ankles…

I remember from kung-fu, there's a stance called the Horse Stance. They made us stand in it, and it really does a number on your quads, but at the same time, because of the pose, it also hits your ankles.

Stand up straight, feet shoulder width apart. Pivoting on the balls of your feet, turn your heels outward. Then, pivoting on your heels, turn the balls of your feet outwards (now your toes are pointed foward and away from each other at a 45 degree angle). Squat as if you are sitting down in a chair, but don't go below the horizontal (if you can't go to the horizontal, go as far as you can).

Also, when I had to do physical therapy, they made me stand on one foot.

Also, Bikram Yoga helps because half of it is a lot of standing positions. It strengthens all the leg joints, including the ankles.

Lu
    Participant

The stance you described is similar to the one I was thinking of, slightly squatting, feet pointing forwards but pointing your knees out as far away from each other as you can because it strengthens muscles along the inside of your leg and also your ankles (because of the strange foot-forward knees out thing)

Anonymous

The stance you described is similar to the one I was thinking of, slightly squatting, feet pointing forwards but pointing your knees out as far away from each other as you can because it strengthens muscles along the inside of your leg and also your ankles (because of the strange foot-forward knees out thing)

Oh, in that case, then do the yoga 😀

AlexG
    Keymaster

Nope, I know my anatomy well enough to use the terms for what I'm referring to 😉

I heard there isn't much to do about the wrists, but in case any of you knew anything that might work, I posted here.

No problemo, glad to be of assistance.  😎

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.