Building Wrists

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Debido-San
    Participant

I dunno about this topic too much…but I think a really solid (pretty hard to indent) stress reliever ball can help that…there's also some weight sets that use this little clamp that you squeeze to loosen, then let go to let it constrict again, and that keeps the weights in place…

As far as I know, they sell both at Sports Authority…and as for the spring clamp thingy…they are called forearm strengtheners I think….(I think you said that's not what you're looking for though…) and you can increase/decrease resistance on some of them…

Just trying to be of help…it's the least I can do ^_^

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Any food I could eat that would be supplemental?

No. Just a regular in take of calicum and iron.
    And do not go for the herbal remedies/suppliments that claim to strengthen joints and bones -they are usually useless.
    If so wished, I's could go through my's journals and manuals to see what Grandfather recommend.
    As for you exercises: replace the pole with a short iron bar and do the same.

To Kulli: For your condition, Horse Riding Stancing is useless, puts too much pressure on the ankles and weakens them further.
    Unfortunately, there is practially nothing you can do about your condition. You are better off stretching and strengthen the tendons in your shins and ankles to prevent collapse. Also, by a pair of ankles supports/bracers for when you start to work out.
    The worst thing about ankles is that if they are broken once they never recover and are oft to break again and again.
    Best of luck to thee.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Lu
    Participant

The worst thing about ankles is that if they are broken once they never recover and are oft to break again and again.

Yes, I learnt that the hard way. My right ankle is knackered, pretty much, I've broken it at least five times.

alisathemom
    Participant

I used to wonder about wrist strength, but I think it comes along with training over time. I do lots of forearm work (hammer curls, wrist curls). In fact, I used to complain about my wimpy wrists, but I don't anymore because they have caught up. Give it time…I've personally seen a dramatic increase over the course of 2 years.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Yes, I learnt that the hard way. My right ankle is knackered, pretty much, I've broken it at least five times.

Then, dear Kulli, all you can do is buy a brace for your ankles and practice extreme caution. Also, avoid wearing sneakers and like shoes. Go for study boot styles that brace and support your ankles, keeping them in place and preventing them from rolling.
    Best of luck to ye.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Lu
    Participant

Yeah I do that. I prefer wearing my Doc Martens and my New Rocks than my Vans… I've always been pretty on-edge about my ankles, they're terrible ._.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Yeah I do that. I prefer wearing my Doc Martens and my New Rocks than my Vans… I've always been pretty on-edge about my ankles, they're terrible ._.

Do not fret on it so. Once you begin to gain greater strength in your legs, your ankles shall probably be enforced by the effort. It is just care that shall be taken until then because you do not want anything to inference with your coming goals. Especially an injury which can distract you.
    This has long been known and cured by this Faulted Flesh but endured none the less.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Lingster
    Keymaster

Check out IronMind.com – they specialize in forearm and grip strength. 

There are really two issues here, muscular strength of the hands and forearms, and also joint strength.  The muscular strength will grow as you do the work, but by doing exercises to increase that strength independently, you may accelerate your overall progress.

Joint strength is another matter. I have extremely slender bone structure, so when my bench started to exceed my bodyweight, for example, I could feel the wrist joints grinding whenever I hefted the weight.  Very painful and scary – I was honestly afraid that I would break them, which would cause me to drop the bar, which isn't good.  Ditto for barbell curls – my wrists would swell up and ache – bone ache – for days after a workout. 

In my experience, the joint strength will increase with time, but it's a slower process than increasing muscular strength.  So I settled on a weight I could do without injuring my joints, and just increased reps and sets instead of weight, until the joints could handle more weight load.  Where bones and joints are concerned, pain is a bad thing, and should be avoided.  If a weight pains your joints, lower it, or the best case scenario is you wind up in physical therapy ten years down the line.  Worst case is joint replacement surgery, which happens to a lot of serious weightlifters who overdo it or don't watch their form.

There's a really good guy who's involved in our little community who, the last time I spoke with him, was getting ready for double shoulder joint replacement.  He's a former competitive weightlifter.  Joint replacement is no kind of fun. 

I think the physiological process of bones getting stronger is called "bone modeling", and I recall Krista has written about it.  Any doctors, med students or other pros want to take a crack at this?  We know you're out there.

Vic
    Participant

Actually TBNB I would be very interested in what your Sifu(?) had to say about the subject of joint strength.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Actually TBNB I would be very interested in what your Sifu(?) had to say about the subject of joint strength.

My's main Sifu was my's maternal Grandfather and he always said that without strong joints and bones everthing else is useless because they do not have the foundations to support them. He believed that a person with superior joint and tendon strength can conquer even the most muscular person because the joints of the muscular person are fundementally weak and cannot withstand vast ammounts of stress or strain.
    He was always proved right in the matter when drawn into deadly combat.
    My's Grandfather was a strong believer in Foundations of things. Saying that nothing can be built without them. From buildings to techniques to even your own Soul. All begins with a strong foundation and good materials to build upon them.
    I's owe so much to him and it is good to recall the lesson he once did teach.
    I's have many of his words written in long misplaced books and journals. Since time is now more abundant, I's may attempt to rediscover them and revisit his wisdom -even though I's will have to translate from my's basic Chinese script.
    Thank you, dear Victor, for the prompting of such memories.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.