Dear Prudence: Muscle-Bound Girl Irritated By Comments

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Found this in the newspaper at work a few days ago. Prudie's healthy attitude towards female muscle is refreshing, and it was just a kick reading this in the daily paper. 😀

Dear Prudence,
    I consider myself a terrific girl. Reasonably pretty, great mental health, no big hang-ups. I like my job and make a good wage. Here's the thing: I enjoy weight-lifting. Some people fish, collect stamps, or play community league soccer. I lift weights. And I've got a muscular physique as a result. I'm not enormous, but I have more muscle and definition than your typical girl (or guy!), and it's certainly noticeable. Thing is, it's all people will talk about if I'm within shouting distance. In the right context, I'm flattered. But most of the time it's, "Flex for us!" and questions about steroids, wrestling, etc. I love my lifting, like my muscles, and won't give it up. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the word out that I'd like people to give it a rest?

—Jill in Virginia

Dear Jill,
    Prudie thinks thou dost protest too much. It's pretty hard to have great definition, noticeable muscles—out of the ordinary, for women—and expect people to ignore it. They likely presume that someone who bulks up is proud of having that kind of bod … ergo, happy to talk about it. You may, however, ignore the requests to "flex for us." You might say that that's for the gym, not for social situations. Prudie wishes you, your lats, and pecs continued progress.

—Prudie, mightily

http://slate.msn.com/id/2124349/

ratlaf
    Participant

Excellent, now if only more mainstream media adopted this attitude, there would be a more widespread acceptance of muscular women.

The Muffin man
    Participant

Found this in the newspaper at work a few days ago. Prudie's healthy attitude towards female muscle is refreshing, and it was just a kick reading this in the daily paper. 😀

http://slate.msn.com/id/2124349/

Sounds quite familiar, and I agree with the responce. Don't be pissed they ask for you to 'flex' all the time. You obviously stand out and if they can see your definition probably assume you're proud of it.

BlackKusanagi
    Participant

O.O Virginia? Holy crap, thats like next door. lol :mrgreen:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.