Monkeyman & O’Brien

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Trent Harlow
    Participant

Hello all, just wanted to throw a thought out there. I am a huge FMG fan, so hence I enjoy She-Hulk, Fairchild, Rampage, and well anytime type of FMG. But what I’m wondering is why hasn’t anybody done any fan art (FMG to be exact) of Ann O’Brien? I mean I know it wasn’t a long running comic (3 issues, 1 special, & 1 TPB). Anybody know if anybody has drawn an Ann O’Brien FMG?

ps – If there are any interested in seeing the ecomic go to http://www.darkhorse.com

a b
    Participant

i be damn interested.

i have only heard ABOUT monkeyman and obrian. i never got to see any of the issues.

i sure wanted to, though.

JimmyDimples
    Participant

Simple. Not many had heard of it before. I know I sure hadn’t. It dates all the way back to the Clinton Administration, before the web was on all 8 cylinders.

But it’s a great find. Thanks for fishing it up!

Aaaaaand… they also have this little e-comic to check out for the origins:

http://www.darkhorse.com/downloads.php?did=291

And this oughta be in the GTS section, but…

http://www.darkhorse.com/downloads.php?did=277

Mr Burroughs
    Participant

I read the series when it came out, then picked up the Gen 13 crossover, then located all the mini-stories in Dark Horse Presents. All told, there’s probably only 200 pages of Monkeyman + O’Brien material out there. I have never seen fanart, and many sites that showcased Adams’ O’Brien art have died off.

It would certainly rule if Adams picked the character up again. He introduced Oniko O’Brien, Ann’s sister, and threw in some narration about how she had gone through the same growth spurt, but never drew a story with Oniko. And his rendition of Ann got noticeably bigger between the original mini-series and the Gen 13 crossover, so it would have been cool to see if he continued on that path.

I have large, high-quality jpgs of the GTS e-comic, if anyone wants them – they originally appeared as a 6-page story in Dark Horse Extra.

Cowprobe
    Participant

A really good post thread to start Freak2k!

As spectacular as Ann O’Brien is, remember she started from the frame of a lass in her late teens with little -ahem- development to start with. Oniko O’Brien was a full grown woman exposed to the extra-special extradimensional engergies that harkened Monkeyman’s and unnamed torso ScannerApe arrival in Earthspace one would expect quite an advancement.

Also Oniko was head of her own criminal empire and was proubably in tip top shape when it came to esoteric martial arts and such. There are occasional pictures and small story threads lead one to believe that Oniko and the ScannerApe team up once he gets a cybernetic body built. Sort of the ‘Anti’ Monkeyman and O’Brien..

Art Adams has been doing the penciling, and ocasionally inking, Jenny Future in Tom Strong’s Sensational Stories from ABC comics (An imprint of DC).

As far as any sightings of Monkeyman and his pituitarily gifted firehaired counterpart inada, zip, zilch as far as I’ve seen.

Though I do have to say a miniseries with Oniko and ScannerApe (Unnamed in the comic) creating havoc would be quite cool. Perhaps if it could be shoehorned in with Adam’s Gojira fetish it might be a distant possibility, : 😆

Mr Burroughs
    Participant

http://www.tslendinga.com/adams/time.htm

He wrapped up the Dark Horse Extra story then … and hasn’t drawn any MM&O’B strips since then. He sort of mocked us by drawing covers for the very un-amazonian "Angel and the Ape" series in 2001.

If anyone has Adams’ email or snail mail address, could it hurt to send him something encouraging? The world needs an Oniko story. There hasn’t been anything of Oniko apart from some splash pages that apparently weren’t made into stories.

Hey, if anyone wants to write an Ann O’Brien story on this site, they would have my regards.

Petechons
    Participant

I really liked this series, but it was depressingly difficult to keep up with and track down the stories as they came out. I did a pretty good job at first, but I’m sure I missed a lot later on. It’s too bad it never really took off.

Lingster
    Keymaster

I really liked this series, but it was depressingly difficult to keep up with and track down the stories as they came out. I did a pretty good job at first, but I’m sure I missed a lot later on. It’s too bad it never really took off.

I doubt you missed very much. Aside from the initial three (?) issues, there were a handful of shorts and the Gen13/Monkeyman & O’Brien cross-over miniseries. Art Adams is one of the most gifted comics writers and illustrators out there, and he likes muscular and busty women and growth, but he’s just not terribly productive. It’s been almost 20 years since Longshot – he’s not going to change.

What he needs is a boss.

Lingster
    Keymaster

Test

Lingster
    Keymaster

Test

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.