Posting FBB pics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fbbfan
    Participant

What are the rules concerning this?

I have plenty of magazines from the early 90's with lots of great pics.

I would like to start posting up pics of Denise Rutkowski, one of my favorite
    bodybuilders of all time because I can't find good pictures of her on the web.

I would like to start contributing, because I have access to good pics from
    my old mags and I have been scan ning like crazy.

Can any moderators help a newbie with this topic?

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

fbbfan: thank you for asking this question before you posted any material.
    As the rules stand, you are not allowed to post anything with clearly marked copyright and owner tags and icons on the pieces (such as items from Diana The Valkyrie or other such websites) without the expressed premission of the owner because that would violate both copyright laws and the rules of these Forums.
    As for posting scans from magazine: if no indicators of copyright or ownership are present, then it should be fine -since we post comic extracts here quite frequently. Although, it is best to post them via hosting sites in order to circumvent certains laws that would be violated if they were posted directly here.
    Lingster, Alexander or any of the other moderators who deal with such items shall probably clarify better than I's am able to.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

fbbfan
    Participant

Thanks Pimp,

I have been using imageshack….and they have a thumbnail option, so in a
    way the site still can have part of the image visible, but technically the image is hosted
    by a service.

I have been posting up pics from comics, and of course my own personal art using imageshack

As always..I will be using imageshack as a host…but with a visible thumbnail link.
    I read somewhere that links with a thumbnail sketch are fine.

If that is the case, I would like to start posting up pics of Denise Rutkowski right away.
    Tina Lockwood, and other bodybuilders, using that thumbnail option.

I will not post fbb pics, until I get further info.

Until then, I will post my own personal artwork, and comic pics as before.

So I await another reply, for the go-ahead.

Thanks all for your time.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Since this has come up in the past over in the Comics forum, I’ll try my best to outline the situation using my PM form letter answer, ever so modified for this question.  I’ll only be addressing the issue as how it pertains to comic books and magazines.

=====

From my previous discussions with Lingster on this issue you can post html links or thumbnail links onto the forums to scanned pictures, but only so long as the scanned pictures in question are loaded onto another server other then Amaz0ns.

As for copyright concerns, the mainstream publishers will allow for a certain degree of reasonable fair use so long as you 1) Are only posting selected examples (with a disclosing source/origin mention, when and if possible) and are not attempting to reproduce the entire comic book or magazine in full (a major no-no).

Pausing here –

For example, if you’re going to post some pictures of, say – Cory Everson, use some logic about the quality of the given image and post only a minimum selected spectrum of her, after all – you don't need very many to get your point across.

Resuming again –

2) Are not taking any money in exchange for the work (this is a super serious concern of artists doing commissions who have to first obtain prior permission from the publisher before selling on eBay) and 3) Are not posting here from any newly released publications – an exception being, as in the case of comics as an example, of authorized artwork samples, such as can be found over on the Comic Book Resources website in the solicitations sections.  After a reasonable wait, minimally four to six weeks later, then I think it would be alright to post selections of panels/pages from them – since that allows the publishers and especially, in the case of comic books, the store dealers a buffer of time to maximize their return on their investment*.

*Case in point, I have the most recent issues of MUTU #11 and Exiles #68, both have superb panels of the She-Hulk in them, but I won’t be posting any scans until the allotted time from date of release as I've outlined has first passed.

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

fbbfan
    Participant

Thank you very much..I will start posting pics with those rules in mind.

Thank you for your time.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Thank you very much..I will start posting pics with those rules in mind.

Thank you for your time.

No problem, that's what I'm here for.  😎

I'll be interested in seeing what you post, have quite a collection of her myself.  😉

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

gracilis
    Participant

See Templeton's Ten Big Myths About Copyright Explained.

In short: it's copyrighted.  There may not be a notice until the last page of the publication in four-point font, but it's copyrighted.  Even if there isn't a notice, it's still protected, thanks to the Berne Convention.  So basing your decision off whether or not it has "clearly marked copyright and owner tags" is probably a poor idea.  Unless that "clearly marked copyright" is, say, a Creative Commons mark which explicitly grants you the right to redistribution.
    IMHO, posting things without owner tags is kind of a double blow: not only does the copyright holder not get payment, but the artist doesn't even get any recognition for their work. 

AlexG's guidelines have some merit to them, though.  If you're not actually damaging the copyright holder's revenue stream, you're probably not worth prosecuting.  That's not to say it's "fair use"; republishing copies of someone else's work is not "fair use", nor is making derivative works.  It's simply violating copyright law in a way you hope no-one cares about.

(When automatic DRM systems come into effect, they're likely to enforce indiscriminately whether anyone "cares" or not.  Hooray for progress!)

I'm not saying you shouldn't post pictures, because heck, I like looking at pictures of Denise Rutkowski.  But if the forum is going to have rules based on what might "violate laws," we should have our facts straight.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.