Re: ATTENTION! ACTUAL MUSCLE IN A GAME!!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Dr.Otto
    Participant

Nintendo will do well for themselves just as they always do. They may not be the industry leader anymore, but they still do turn a healthy profit for themselves. They're actually in the enviable position of being able to make the kinds of games they want to make and still do well regardless of which way the industry winds blow, and it's from that sort of environment that craetivity and innovation flourish.

Now if they'd just come up with something besides Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, and Zelda, I think we'd be in business. As much as I love Metroid, I think we really need to start seeing some new ideas from these guys, and hopefully the Revolution controller will be part of that.

gblock01
    Participant

From rumors floating around the net that I've heard, the Revolution's controler is going to be designed so that the game registers that you have moved the controler. In other words, if you are aiming in a first-person shooter, the gun aims to where you are pointing the controler. This, if true, could revolutionize (pun completely intended) the way that some of Nintendo's classic titles work. In Metroid, you aim Samus's gun by moving the controller. With the Legend of Zelda, simple gestures can make Link swing the sword in particular ways. I haven't figured out anything for the other two, but you get the idea, right?

Silent One
    Participant

As cool as it sounds to wave the controller around to swing swords, aim guns etc I wonder how long it would take for the novelty to wear off.  I'd hate to have to cut a gaming session short because I got tennis elbow.

I admit the idea is incredible but I'm currently skeptical how as to how well it will translate into real game play.  I'm not saying I've made up my mind to hate it, I'm just saying I'm not going to be amazed until I actually get one in my hands and try it myself.

gblock01
    Participant

First of all, I never said that it was a fact. I said that it was a rumor. Also, it would be simple gestures, not full blown swings. For first person shooters, you would aim by pointing the controller at the screen. For swinging a sword, it wouldn't be like real sword fighting at all, because there is nothing to aim at. You would move it in a line on the screen and the character would respond. Again, this is not confirmed. This much I know as a fact: game designers left Nintendo's unveiling of the Revolution's controller full of ideas and possibilities. All sources that I have, both those that have been officially approved by Nintendo and those that have not, say that much.

Here's something to think about.  The Nintendo DS has a wireless router (or whatever you'd call it) and the Revolution is wireless too.

gblock01
    Participant

I think that I understand what you are getting at. You're saying that it is possible that the revolution will be programmed to use the DS as a possible controller. It is possible, but it is hard to say. One reason that it's possible is that it would encourage people to buy more DS systems. Another is that the DS has a shape that is already familiar to most people (at least as far s the controls are concerned). There are a couple of reasons that it is unlikely, as well. First, there is the fact that it would likely require extra hardware that, if sold externally, might not sell well. If the extra hardware is internal, then the price of the Revolution shoots up, lowering sales. Another reason is that the games would have to include extra programming to compensate for the different controllers. Like on the Gamecube, this isn't that big of a deal, but it does require more effort and money. Also, this would have to be done on all of the Revolution games. On the Gamecube, you can use the GBA system as a controller, but only for certain games. There are probably more reasons as to why it is or is not feasible, but that is all that I can think of for now. Nintendo will figure something out, sooner or later. Until then, let's just watch and see what happens.

Andy_Fraser82
    Participant

I can say for sure two things : 1 – The PSP will be able to interface with PS3 as a controller and something special, don't know what but that's what the hot shots at Sony are saying and, two – the DS will be able to be used as a controller.

The Muffin man
    Participant

I dunno about the PSP thing. The Hot Shots at Sony have also said the PS3 is something like using 300% of your brain power or something.

But yes, the DS WILL be a possible Rev controller.

"Now if they'd just come up with something besides Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, and Zelda"

Halo, Madden, PGR, and DOA.

FF, MGS, Soul Calibur, GTA.

All 3 consoles have a certain franchise that rakes them in huge amounts of money.

Except Nintendos franchises have been around for almost 20 years now(Pokemons still a vet compared to Halo at like 10 years now), so they've got a bit more license to try and work with the characters(A pokemon adventure game soon, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, and Metroid Prime).

Whereas the most DOA is trying for is a volleyball game to showcase huge, bouncy tits(Not neccasarily BAD) and Soul Calibur went multi-platform and decided to flip off the best-selling console.

See, I don't mind people disliking Nintendo. Not at all. But if you're gonna claim you've got some sort of problem with something, PLEASE make sure it's more than the companies 4 biggest franchises in Japan and the US.

That's like saying Marvel should stop making Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four comics.

gblock01
    Participant

I agree with you on this, Muffin Man. Personally, I do not care much for pokemon, but it does sell, especially to the younger kids. It's just like with anything in business: if it sells, go with it. Again, I agree with Muffin Man. With these major titles, the gaem companies can push for newer things while still using something that people are familiar with. For example, there are 2 new Mario games coming out. One is another Mario RPG that features not only Luigi, but their baby counterparts as well. This is on the DS. Another game is something new. This one, as far as I know is called Super Princess Peach. Mario has been captured, and Luigi has been tied up. Peach stars in a platformer game for the DS. Like I said, new but similar.

By the way, Muffin Man, you forgot Megaman. 😉

The Muffin man
    Participant

I agree with you on this, Muffin Man. Personally, I do not care much for pokemon, but it does sell, especially to the younger kids. It's just like with anything in business: if it sells, go with it. Again, I agree with Muffin Man. With these major titles, the gaem companies can push for newer things while still using something that people are familiar with. For example, there are 2 new Mario games coming out. One is another Mario RPG that features not only Luigi, but their baby counterparts as well. This is on the DS. Another game is something new. This one, as far as I know is called Super Princess Peach. Mario has been captured, and Luigi has been tied up. Peach stars in a platformer game for the DS. Like I said, new but similar.

By the way, Muffin Man, you forgot Megaman. 😉

I left Megaman off the PS2 list for the same reason I was kind of wary of putting GTA on there. Although GTA doesn't have a game on every console, and didn't start on an older console outside its' current homes' ancestor.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.