Which Gen 13 TP is best for FMG?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Debido-San
    Participant

hey guys, I came across some spare change, and I’m gonna pick up She Hulk vol. 2, but I also hear good things about Gen 13, and not to mention (even though I’ve never read an issue) I like Caitlin Fairchild…so does anybody have any personal favorite Trade Paperbacks of Gen 13?

Debido-San
    Participant

ok…um nevermind, I picked up "I love NY" just because it was cheap…but still, does anybody know if that one is any good? Thanks!

David C. Matthews
    Participant

I’d like to find out which TPB is best myself.

The problem I have with Gen13/Caitlin Fairchild is that, with as many artists as worked on those books, Fairchild’s physique would vary wildly. Sometimes voluptuous with thickly muscled arms (my favorite look, natch!), but just as often the same slender "figure" as the other females in the series. (Not unlike She-Hulk, come to think of it: how muscular she is depends on who’s drawing her.)

Debido-San
    Participant

yeah, I see your point! well, I’ll be glad to tell you (and the rest of you guys) if the I Love NY TPB is any good for FMG (probably minus the G…) and also if it’s any good as a comic itself…when it gets here along with that She Hulk…

Fett
    Participant

Gen 13: Ordinary Heroes, by Adam Hughes. She’s very buff.

You can see the "Wham A Tale" story here. http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=2425

If you look at the previous image link, it’ll take you through all 11-pages of "Wham A Tale" (but check, they’re not all in order).

The Ordinary Heroes TPB has Wham A Tale (in colour) some pin-ups, a crappy 2-issue story by Alan Davis, and a terrific 2-page story by Adam Hughes: "Ordinary Heroes".

Except for the Alan Davis story, she’s buff.

Also, Adam Warren did some damn good stories (but very manga, and Fairchild’s quite buff) in Grunge: The Movie (which is a hysterical 3-issue story) and Magical Drama Queen Roxy (which is a funny 3-issues too).

Matthew Lim
    Participant

Fett, I LOVE THAT FIND! I know what my next paycheck is going to be funding. 😀

Debido-San
    Participant

Wow, thanks Fett (man I didn’t know you were on here after the Wreck-Shop thing…) any clue how to find the Adam Warren ones easily?

Fett
    Participant

Both are in TPBs, but I don’t know if they are in print. I know that Grunge: The Movie is out of print as I can’t find a copy (though I have the issues, I like a back up of really really good issues).

Adam Warren did the last batch of Gen13 stories before it got cancelled, but only the writing and covers. The art isn’t as good because it’s someone else, but the writing’s all good – such as when Grunge challenges someone to ferret-wrestling. (That’s where you put ferrets into your underwear and you lose if you chicken out.)

But the covers are nice, such as this one which is the first of the Warren tpbs cover. (I think there are 2 tpbs.)

I think though, regarding to two mini-series Warren did originally, the actual issues aren’t hard to find, nor expensive. Grunge: The Movie was Gen13: Bootleg #8, 9, and 10. Magical Drama Queen Roxy was a mini-series, thus #1, 2, and 3. Shouldn’t be too difficult to round them up.

The 11-page Wham A Tale story arc is in the OH trade (which looks like this).

This is some of the interiors to the two-part Ordinary Heroes story.

😀

Debido-San
    Participant

looking at the same site, I found another pin up (like what Fett just posted, but actually in color) here

Mr Burroughs
    Participant

I second the recommendation of "Ordinary Heroes." You’re in luck – the story came out like 7 years ago, and the TPB was delayed and delayed and delayed until it finally came out in 2004.

The second-best TPB is the original 5-issue "Gen 13" series, with art by J. Scott Campbell. This has, as the end of issue one, Caitlin’s GTS scene, where she literally outgrows her clothes. The final splash page, of Caitlin gasping as she looks down at her massive new figure, is really great – Campbell draws it from below looking up, so we get a real sense of scale.

When I’m a millionaire I’m going to pay Hughes to draw his own version of that scene. (He does draw one panel from it in the TPB)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.