Flash Gordon (1983-84) – Julah the Golan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AlexG
    Keymaster

Source: http://flashgordon.wikia.com/wiki/Julah_the_Golon

Been looking for this story for a long time now, the complete version was posted several yrs back on one of the GTS forums.  Was able to assemble (most) of the storyline from two sites, one the New GTS Shrine, the other a Spanish website about Flash Gordon that had a large collection of the Dan Berry run with the comic strip from 1983-84.

Even so, there's some holes here in the continuity, but I think its enough to follow the plot of Flash's adventure with Julah the Golan.  8)

1983 Storyline

What follows after, and is missing here, is Julah’s return to a normal stature and existance.  Flash Gordon a few years later had a second encounter with Julah, a less favorable one – the life she expected as a normal was not the one she had hoped for and was once again transformed into a Giantess by the priest of Saban.

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

JimmyDimples
    Participant

I remember reading this fresh on the Sunday comics way back in my high school days, and loving it!  Great to see them again!  Thanks for sharing them!

Wish I could've seen the ones where Julah made her reappearance…

AlexG
    Keymaster

I would have included the later encounter w/Julah, if I had found that sequence of the sequel story line.  All I came across were two panels at the New GTS Shrine.  As I best recall, in her second incarnation as a GTS she was cool and aloof in her dealings with Flash, almost as if she'd undergone a personality change, becoming the Giantess Goddess in mind as much as in body.

Even so, she eventually helped him to escape the Saban a second time.

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”

Lingster
    Keymaster

I love this comic!

AlexG
    Keymaster

When I get the time, maybe I'll post what I have of a story line from last years Ink Pen* strip by Phil Dunlap – where mere mortal Jenn Erica gets superpowers as The Empoweress.

*(If unfamiliar w/ it, think of as Bloom County for the pop-culture of Superheroes/heroines)

Zespara Alathar
    Participant

When I get the time, maybe I'll post what I have of a story line from last years Ink Pen* strip by Phil Dunlap – where mere mortal Jenn Erica gets superpowers as The Empoweress.

*[size=8pt](If unfamiliar w/ it, think of as Bloom County for the pop-culture of Superheroes/heroines)[/size]

Oh yeah, I love that strip.  That particular storyline was hilarious as Jenn Erica finds out how the superhero world really works in that strip!

Fortunately, Ink Pen is far more funny than Bloom County could ever hope to be.  😛

Z

randy guillotte
    Participant

Interesting and provocative story for it's time… It looks as if there were a few different colorists doing the different panels as evidenced by the changing hair color of Julah.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Fortunately, Ink Pen is far more funny than Bloom County could ever hope to be.   😛

Oh, I'd say the one w/ Opus and the gang smuggling Bill-the-Cat produced cat-sweat hair growth tonic (a parody of the moronic drug war) rates as one of the all time funniest story lines in comic strip history.

Or how about the X-19 Bassetlope Nuke Launcher . . .

Or when Opus had women swarming him when they learned he was a prude . . .

Admittedly, Breathed's sense of humor is on the sardonic side, rather then slapstick.

dbmneto
    Participant

Very good drawings!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.