Footage from new Mortal Kombat movie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    FlakBait
    Keymaster

Another reboot…..WHHHEEEEEEEEEE!! Who says hollywood has run out of ideas!!??

The most attention-getting thing to hit the ‘net on a very slow news day is this seven minutes of Mortal Kombat footage featuring Michael Jai White as Jax. There’s a lot going on here — introductions and backstory for antagonists like Reptile and Baraka, a fight scene featuring Johnny Cage, and even Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade.

But what’s it for?

There’s some real production value here; it would be easy to mistake this for a great fan creation, but between the notable names (not a-list, but big enough) and the obvious money spent, this is definitely something official meant to prime fans for some new project.

Nice introduction of Scorpion, too.

The video game expo E3 takes place next week, so we’ll almost certainly know more then. The scope of this footage is actually pretty constrained (despite the long fight scene) which suggests it is purely footage to promote a new game, rather than a film.

But in the wake of Midway going down the tubes WB owns Mortal Kombat, so it isn’t too much of a stretch to guess there might be some plan for both a film and game announcement. WB had been looking to reboot the MK films not long ago, but there was some legal entanglement. If that has been resolved, then this could easily be a joint film/game promotion. This could essentially be proof of concept footage akin to the Tron footage shown a couple years back. But it’s pretty elaborate for that.

Update: CHUD says the footage is definitely related to a new film, and that the choreography “comes from the mind of genius fight choreographer Larnell Stovall. He’s the guy who did the fights for the excellent Undisputed 3: Redemption, on DVD and Blu-Ray right now.” Latino Review and other sources say that Kevin Tancharoen directed.

Check the footage below, and note that it’s gooey enough to qualify as NSFW in some quarters. You make that call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&feature=player_embedded

fasola
    Participant

WOW! I can’t believe it. I’m actually exited. That clip really made me want to whatch whatever they make,.

And I don’t know if it will be a movie or a TV series, it kind of has a serial feel, at least for me.

The future will tell.

PS: Man. Jeri Ryan is HOT!

Fett
    Participant

MORTAL LOMBAT!

MORTAL WOMBAT!

MORTAL TOMCAT!

BlackKusanagi
    Participant

KORTAL MOMBAT!!!!!

Reason
    Participant

I think I read an interview with Jeri Ryan who said that it was made by the director as a pitch to WB of his vision of a Mortal Kombat reboot and that she did it as a favor for her friend.

FlakBait
    Keymaster

Yesterday’s big story? That Mortal Kombat: Rebirth video from director Kevin Tancharoen, who tossed grit, blood and production value into a franchise we thought was dead – at least on the cinematic front.

More details are coming out about it. This morning, Jeri Ryan (playing Sonya Blade in the video), clarified via her Twitter account: “It’s not a game trailer…was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film…I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB’s reaction to it was. And I’m not sure how you can contact WB…to push them to make it. But you guys are resourceful…!”

We’ll see if Tancharoen was successful in courting Warner Bros…

http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=15449

Bane Dorrance
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.