Inside the Writers Studio: The Concept of a Reimagined Origin Story

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    AlexG
    Keymaster

For this installment of Inside the Writers Studio
    – as an author have you ever considered the Concept of a Reimagined Origin Story for one of your Original Characters (OCs)?

As a reboot it could be completely divorced from the circumstances and environment of the original story.

Or could fall under the classification as alt-universe / alt-history with certain points in common,
    but w/ a whole different outcome.

Comments are optional. B)

Also, I’ve not placed a time limit on the poll, so it should keep running indefinitely. :blink:

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

TC2
    Participant

I have definitely done this and more than once.

This mainly applies to stories I wrote back in 2001. Back then I simply wrote whatever came to mind and didn’t take the time to edit my words or evaluate whether the plot made sense. I simply made it up as I went along.

As the years progressed and I started taking writing more seriously, I started realizing major flaws with my older works that simply couldn’t hold up to modern standards. An FMG story I had written was affected by this because all of my free writing eventually led me to a writer’s block where I didn’t know how to end the story.

So I definitely think that a reboot or re imagining of an origin story is absolutely necessary from time to time.

However, there is an exception. If your story is already available on the market and people like the origin story, I don’t think it should be changed unless the new twist makes it more interesting. For instance, I thought Batman’s parents being killed by the Joker was a great twist in the Batman mythos. It’s much better than having some random thug named Joe Cool killing them.

Asides from that, reboots are definitely necessary. However, I don’t think the reboots Hollywood does are necessarily. Usually they reboot a franchise just to make more money without having an original story to tell. Or the actor’s have gotten too old and want to move onto different projects. But, oh well, that is the money machine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.