Nutrition of eggs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NecrochildK
    Participant

I've always been told that eggs are a good source of proteins among other things, yet all over these boards I see people pushing fish, chicken and beef for protien, why never eggs? Is there a bigger drawback to them or are meats better?

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Eggs do have much protein in them, though not as much as the other things that you did mention.
    The main issue with eggs is that have much negative effects as they do positive -such as colestirol levels and so forth- and because of these, most people tend to shy away from them.
    The most favoured uses of eggs are as Egg White Omletts for breakfast (cooked in very basic form of oil) or as a binder for other meals.

Personally, I's find eggs to be of great value -if used sparsely, twice or thrice a week at most- for they are inexpensive, plentiful and malible.

Though, in ways of diet, I's tend to take the very Martial Artists appraoch of my's Sifu and eat everything that I's desire -as long as it is not too unhealthy, artificial or repugnant to my's stomach.
    Needless to say, I's have eaten many a strange thing in my's life.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

NecrochildK
    Participant

lol Being Cajun, the strange things bit I know. Honestly, I can't stand too much artificial or overly processed stuff, my intestines reject them. I have to be careful what I eat, like some days I can tolerate foods with a good bit of oils in them, other days, it's an absolute no. Therein lies a problem for me with getting protein. We can't afford steaks and chicken or fish all the time, so we normally get ground beef, the problem there is, even leanest ground beef cooks in with so much oils and fats from the meat that my intestines just go "OOp! Hell no, we've just been slicked down with oil! This shit's not staying!" Sorry if I get kinda… graphic I guess you'd say, so many hospital stays and I just eventually lost all sense of shame by what the body does.

Oh-mi-kaze
    Participant

Oy.  Newbie here.

In any case, I like egg whites, primarily because I have to cook my own meat and fish is not an option in a Hindu household.  Also, considering my current location, sashimi is out of the question.  So, I've had to constrict my lean protein sources to lean meats and Egg Beaters; which, by the by, are basically yellow-colored egg whites in a carton.  I've been losing steady poundage of body fat since I used it to fill out my food while cutting out the heavily refined portions of the meal.

I guess I'd like to say that egg whites are good fillers, and the occasional bit of yolk is acceptable (usually one yolk per six eggs).  However, when it's used alone, be wary of the yolk because most of the lipid content (if not all of it) is concentrated there.

NecrochildK
    Participant

My dad used to get Egg Beaters, for some reason I didn't seem to tolerate it well. Though this was when I was about 15, I might have just been picky about not having the yolk. x_x I love egg yolk too much to cut it out of the egg.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Hhmmm. . . If you're body rejects certain fats and oils and almost all processed and artificial foods, The Pimp would then recommend switching to a more vegatable based diet with high ammounts of legums (beans and such) and nuts (mainly cashews, walnuts and almonds).
    Try a more Asian (Chinese & Thai mainly) style of meals with vegatables and nuts stirred fried in a light oil -peanut, grapeseed or linseed- with a good dose of natural seasonings spread through (mainly natural and freshly ground spices).
    Being of Cajun blood, such things should be natural to your cooking sense and platte.

Also, American Ground Beef is majority off cuts and fat. Even if you do good and drain the 'meat' well, you are style prone to same rejection syndrome as if you ate full fat and bad oils.

After briefly viewing your history on these threads, I's would highly recommending getting your metatabolism rebalanced as well as finding a means and method of controlling your blood sugers and glucose levels -as they to effect what you can eat, when and your overall metabolic rate and system.
    Then you can worry about your total diet and all things that follows.

That is the only advice The Pimp can give at this point in Existence.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

NecrochildK
    Participant

Heh, I've already looked into this and I do cook more asian as well as my own native dishes. The odd thing is, the one kind of fat and grease that doesn't bother my system is bacon grease, so occassionally I give myself my favorite little treat. As far as my blood sugar, that is perfectly normal, strangely enough. It's my insulin that's high. 33.7 after fasting 6 hours, or just after waking in otherwords. Where as it shouldn't even spike that high after eating. I can't begin to imagine what it rises to when I eat, especially certain foods. Consequentially, I don't have much of a taste for sweets anymore like I used to before chemo. I do see a nutritionist this week hopefully though. My trainer gave me the name of a good one, as well as economical to fit even my pathetic budget. The challenge will be to actually manage a budget for a new diet. I just wish I had the luxury to eat more fresh foods more often. I may have to ask my mom for help in this task.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

If you are having issues with your insulin levels, than you may actually have problems with you pancreus. This is a common side effect of chemotheropy and, if untreated, can casual many long lasting issues.
    A bad pancreus would also replain you reactions to fats and oils as well as some of the other problems that you mentioned.
    If you haven't already sone so, I's would highly recommend speaking to your doctor about this during you next appointment.

As for fresh foods: best to seek out a farmers' market or Co-op market.
    They often have very excellent and fresh produce for very little money.
    The only issue is finding such things in your local area.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

NecrochildK
    Participant

I've already seen my doctor about it more than once, it was my Dad that ordered the blood work the first time to test it all, but my internist ignored it. It's my gynecologist that took it upon herself to help me get my health back in order personally. She is a good friend of our family and knows what measures my dad was taking to try and help me get better. She visited our family several times when my dad was dying and I trust her with my life. When Dad passed away, I was going to ask her personally to help me. I didn't even have to ask. She told me without me having to say a word, that she would help me recover my health. Where my internist would simply brush me off saying all I needed was exercise, Dr. Jurgelski has actually looked into the problem, looked over what Dad had found, run test to confirm what he suspected and is offering me other alternatives. I had been exercising since September and while I had seen improvements in strength, I'm still just as tired as always. Dr. Jurgelski, also knowing my problems with keeping up with pills, offered a choice of an alternative instead of shoving more pills in my hand that I eventually stop taking. My mom said the other day I should go back to my internist, honestly? I don't trust him enough to even let him know I'm going into body building and seeing a nutritionist. I'll leave my care in the hands of the doctor who actually does something instead of shoving pills down my throat and telling me I'm fine when it's obvious I'm not.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.