Seeking The Parkour Body and Lifestyle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Oh-mi-kaze
    Participant

Oy.  Kaze here.  Typical moniker's "meaningless name, meaningless existence."

Well, the former, I can't do anything about, but the latter's what I plan to change.

I've been trying several exercise routines, from pilates, to ashtanga yoga sessions, to plain ol' cardio and dynamic stretching of late to improve flexibility and lose weight.  And so far, they've all worked until I lost interest to the point of quitting.

I've recently decided to give it another shot, this time with a novel (at least to me) approach.  Two months ago, I've adopted circuits involving Furey's "Combat Conditioning" exercises, weights and cardio.  A lot of informal pointers by professional trainers have suggested that my heart's in the right place, and that my initial routine needs a bit of work on the weight training side.

Honestly, I've done away with my old routine since the results after one month were less effective than the adapted routine.  Of course, it involved a common mistake for newbies: doing only one set of each exercise.

I digress.  Apologies.  The real meat of the matter is that I'm expecting to be in fledgling gymnast shape so that I can begin parkour, a.k.a. FreeRun, by next April.  This goal was set two months ago, and I believe I'm well on my way.  Here's the situation:

I'm 5'9", 304 lbs.  For a male, I've terribly poor–but quickly growing–upper body strength.  For a fat man who hasn't done much in a couple years, I'm outright shocked that I have a 2' vertical on average, suggesting that my legs are about the only parts of me that haven't gone completely to hell.  Since starting this goal, I've lost 14 lbs, and I'm set to lose about 2-3 more pounds at the end of the week, after pounding myself through a moderate (at best) regimen.

These days, a typical example of the 4-days-a-week plan for me is:

Monday:
    Morning
    Combat Conditioning circuit: 10 min. jump rope, dands (Hindu squats) 1Xfailure, bethaks (Hindu pushups) 1xfailure, 5 min. jump rope, back bridge to failure
    Afternoon
    Weight–arms
    Preacher curls – 70 lbs. 3×8
    Concentration curls – 35 lbs. 3×12
    Tricep pulldown – 130 lbs. machine 3×12
    Tricep kickbacks – 60 lbs. 3×12
    Hammer curls – 40 lbs. 3×12
    Any cardio routine – 20-30 min., including cool down

Tuesdays involve the chest, shoulders and upper back, concentrating on the lats, delts, upper traps, serratus anterior muscles, and of course, pecs.  Thursdays involve the abs, glutei,  rhombdoids, hamstrings, tensor fasciae latae, and the sartorius/gracilis/adductor muscle groups.  Fridays take care of the calves and quads, but is a mostly cardio day.  The morning half is done almost every day, and I think it's the reason why I've been feeling as remotely chipper as I do now.

So, I have a lot of questions, after sharing that "tl;dr" crap which would be necessary, n'est-ce pas?

1.  Is this too much for someone who should be considered a total newbie?

2.  Particularly uncomfortable stiffness the day after; fight it or listen to it?

3.  Have you folks tried any of the aforementioned exercise routines, and do you recommend them?

4.  Are there particular exercises you would recommend to someone with significant flexibility for a fatass–i.e. I can grab my toes with straight legs–that would improve hip  and back flexibility?

5.  Should I even be attempting a five-day regimen?

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Ypu seem to know what you want and what it takes to achieve it, as well as great knowledge of the externals and internals of things.

The only recommendations that The Pimp would make is to keep your diet in check,
    Regular meals with less carbohydrates and good balance of protein and vegatables (more vegatables and fruit though).
    Be constant in your workouts. Work for the same ammount of times over the same period of days, making sure you take some days to rest (a four day workout routine is best to begin, with one day of light cardio and yoga form excercises and the 2 days of rest).
    Start on a minimum of weights and reps and then build up over a course of time. Best to shed the fat and gain cardio strength before attempting anything heavy.
    Workout to your body shape and type. If you are disposed to gaining muscle, then work heavy. If your body is naturally lean, then learn to sculpt and strengthen it.
    Never be afraid to ask advice from professionals and fellow gym patrons.
    And most importantly: do not expect too much too soon. Be happy with any gains you make and enjoy what you do.

To answer some of your questions:

2: listen to your body and do not fight the stiffness. Yield to it and work around the pain. If you push a muscle too far past its limits, it will cost you much in the long run. Take the time to relax and tend to the stiff/sore areas with massage and pressure therapy.

4. You cannot force flexiblity. Just let it come. Yoga exercises are the best in terms of delevloping flexiblity. Merely trying to grab at your toes will do nothing.
    When you stretch, go as far as you can and hold (never bounce) for twenty seconds. Do this thrice and then try to stretch further than previous. Do this before, between and after all exercises.

That is all the advice that The Pimp can utter at this time, dear Kaze. Best of luck with all your endeavours and may fortune shine upon you.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Oh-mi-kaze
    Participant

I apologize if cutting posts isn't accepted here.  I just haven't seen any rules about it.

Ypu seem to know what you want and what it takes to achieve it, as well as great knowledge of the externals and internals of things.

Thanks.  I've actually committed to something wholeheartedly; something I've not done often.

The only recommendations that The Pimp would make is to keep your diet in check,
    Regular meals with less carbohydrates and good balance of protein and vegatables (more vegatables and fruit though).

Of course.  A&P courses pay off in the long run.

Be constant in your workouts. Work for the same ammount of times over the same period of days, making sure you take some days to rest (a four day workout routine is best to begin, with one day of light cardio and yoga form excercises and the 2 days of rest).

I'll try to do that next week.  Would I be doing the light cardio/yoga session in lieu or with the morning half of the regimen?

Start on a minimum of weights and reps and then build up over a course of time. Best to shed the fat and gain cardio strength before attempting anything heavy.
    Workout to your body shape and type. If you are disposed to gaining muscle, then work heavy. If your body is naturally lean, then learn to sculpt and strengthen it.

Probably the former is me, although I'm not too concerned with gaining bulk.  If you're just talking about mass, though, I'll probably up the weights later on.

Never be afraid to ask advice from professionals and fellow gym patrons.

I've always been skittish, to say the least, around people.  I've only started asking people of late about advice.

And most importantly: do not expect too much too soon. Be happy with any gains you make and enjoy what you do.

I've sworn myself off of losing more than 2 lbs. (.9 kg) weekly, and just get pleasantly surprised if I lose slightly more than that.

To answer some of your questions:

2: listen to your body and do not fight the stiffness. Yield to it and work around the pain. If you push a muscle too far past its limits, it will cost you much in the long run. Take the time to relax and tend to the stiff/sore areas with massage and pressure therapy.

I'll need some pointers here, definitely.  I have a particular trouble spot near my superior posterior spine on my pelvis.  Whenever I bend backwards in a stretch, it just hits me.  It's pretty localized, so I'm wondering if you or anyone else have any suggestions about that.

4. You cannot force flexiblity. Just let it come. Yoga exercises are the best in terms of delevloping flexiblity. Merely trying to grab at your toes will do nothing.
    When you stretch, go as far as you can and hold (never bounce) for twenty seconds. Do this thrice and then try to stretch further than previous. Do this before, between and after all exercises.

I'll definitely need to stretch out my sessions along with my body, then.  Thank you.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

Kaze: there is no rule or issue with or against posting in sich a manner. So, by all means continue if it is easier for ya'll.

So, to answer some of your points.

You would do your cardio sesson both as part of your regimen and in lieu of it.
    Make it a full day of training within the gym -using there machines and the like- and on your off days, partake in jogging, swimming or any other low-impact activity in a natural setting.
    Nature is the best catalyst and inspiartion for any exercise.

When you get such pains when you stretch your back, it may actually be a pinched nerve or the like from constant sitting or the similair. Best to consult your doctor about this, in case there is actually a physical problem involved.
    To compensate for such an issue, 'tis best not to stretch by rather strengthen that area by doing an exercise in which you grasp onto a secure over head object (such as a bar), lift yourself off the ground and hold yourself in the air, raising up your knees. Do this for 20 to 30 seconds at a time and it will greatly help strengthen the lower back area.

That is all I's can offer for now, dear Kaze. If you need further advice, please do not hesitate in asking any of us here.

Best of luck to you and to all your plans.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.