“Space:1999” being remade for television

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    FlakBait
    Keymaster

In the category of WHYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!!

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced plans for a reimagining of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson’s famed franchise of the 1970s, then called Space: 1999. The news comes months after Fox and producer Seth MacFarlane announced they would be reviving Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, a 1980s miniseries from Carl Sagan.

“Science fiction is a powerful format capable of visualizing the human condition in thought-provoking ways,” said HDFilms president Jace Hall, who will spearhead the effort and serve as an executive producer. The project is in the development phase and has yet to be shopped to networks.

“While we are indeed re-imagining the franchise and bringing something new and relevant to today’s audiences,” continued Hall, who recently revived V at ABC, “I feel strongly that some of the overall tones set by the original Space: 1999 television show represent an exciting platform to explore possibilities.”

Added ITV Studios International’s managing director Paul Buccieri: “After more than 35 years, we are thrilled to be developing a new vision of our much beloved franchise for audiences worldwide. Historically, the Space: 1999 brand has entertained and fascinated millions of people.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/space-2099-television-remake-288601

I really enjoyed the first season of Space:1999, despite the camp and the overall goofy premise of the moon being blasted out of earth’s orbit by a “magnetic radiation” explosion it was fun and of course Barbara Bain was hot and Martin Landau is awesome. It was nice seeing a somewhat realistic depiction of a moonbase and support craft as well. That being said I have no idea how to feel about this. Almost every remade series has been crap. The remade “Battlestar Galactica” was really great the first season then the show started to become some sort of space based soap opera that only occasionally showed something outside the corridor’s of a ship and then that fourth season was crap. NBC destroyed 2 classic series as well. Considering this is being handled by the same people who couldn’t make a new “V” series hold an audience I do not like this shows chances…..but will still probably watch at least the premiere.

AlexG
    Keymaster

The remade “Battlestar Galactica” is currently being reran Saturdays on the BBC America channel. B)

Campy as it is (now), the original “V” of the early 80s is still fun to watch when it gets aired on Sci-Fi channel. :whistle:

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

Robert McNay
    Participant

Why? Because the original didn’t get a fair shake in syndication and ended far too soon. Because, with today’s technology, the show could look incredible. Because its being done by the original studio, ITV, and the guys who did a nice and respectful job on “V”. Plus, the promo shows they are being respectful of this, too (the VERY obvious updated Eagle transporter front and center).

And they can get better actors than Barabara “Great Stone Face” Bain and Nick “I was on Red Bull Before they Invented It” Tate.

I’m looking forward to it, big time.

FlakBait
    Keymaster

Why? Because the original didn’t get a fair shake in syndication and ended far too soon. Because, with today’s technology, the show could look incredible. Because its being done by the original studio, ITV, and the guys who did a nice and respectful job on “V”. Plus, the promo shows they are being respectful of this, too (the VERY obvious updated Eagle transporter front and center).

And they can get better actors than Barabara “Great Stone Face” Bain and Nick “I was on Red Bull Before they Invented It” Tate.

I’m looking forward to it, big time.

You have insulted Rollin’ Hand…

Considering Space:1999 grew out of what was supposed to be the second season of “UFO” which is now being made into a movie I wonder what else is going to come back. Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons? and not that crappy CGI stuff they tried a couple years back, that doesn’t count.

AlexG
    Keymaster

A late-70s Starlog magazine article, thought I’d pass it along. B)

Link1: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2899/spacejourney1999p1.jpg

Link2: http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8446/spacejourney1999p2.jpg

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”

Bane Dorrance
    Participant
    Bane Dorrance
    Participant

Uzi4You” post=141219
    https://youtu.be/uZNt6ikhI1w
    from season 1 of Space 1999  
    maybe when The Orville parodies this episode we’ll get actual Amazon women in their own way 

AlexG
    Keymaster

As a precursor series, one can see the some of the origins for Spece: 1999 . . .

AlexG
    Keymaster

A fan-based production – the intro is rather impressive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.