Support you local bodybuilder

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    phil442
    Participant

It is apparent that many of you follow female bodybuilding and the competitions.  Did any of you see the result of the USA's.  I have follow the journals of both Amanda Dunbar and Elena Seiple and was impressed by both the competitors preparation and efferts.  But based on the photos posted to date I would have given the win to Elena.  Many of you may not agree but that is not the reason I am posting this note.  I received an email response from Elena and she seem to be down and thinking about quitting bodybuilding.  All I am asking is that you send some positive encouragement her way.

ratlaf
    Participant

Her public e-mail address is : [email][email protected][/email]  drop her a line!

tourist
    Participant

i think dunbars win was because of the new 20 percent rule. there was such a big difference in the size of the two.

interesting to see where the sport is heading.

or maybe it will die afterall.

still in a dilemma…

t.

phil442
    Participant

I also wonder what is happening to Womens Bodybuilding.  It is criminal how so few people control so much of the system.  Many of you have likely read the attached arcticle by Bill Dobbins.  I have posted it for those who haven't, because it does a far better job explaining the situation than I ever could.

http://www.billdobbins.com/PUBLIC/pages/coolfree/MsOlympia05-finals.htm

The Muffin man
    Participant

I also wonder what is happening to Womens Bodybuilding.  It is criminal how so few people control so much of the system.  Many of you have likely read the attached arcticle by Bill Dobbins.  I have posted it for those who haven't, because it does a far better job explaining the situation than I ever could.

http://www.billdobbins.com/PUBLIC/pages/coolfree/MsOlympia05-finals.htm

Anyone else find it incredibly inane that they take points OFF for "excessive muscularity" in a BODYBUILDING show?

It's like disqualifying a powerlifted because she lifted "too heavy". "Well she broke a lot of world records, but that was too much weight."

Eric
    Participant

Anyone else find it incredibly inane that they take points OFF for "excessive muscularity" in a BODYBUILDING show?

It's like disqualifying a powerlifted because she lifted "too heavy". "Well she broke a lot of world records, but that was too much weight."

The hypocrisy is  obvious, since I haven't heard that the MALE bb's have to reduce their muscularity by 20%.  😡

Later,

Eric F., EnhanceMan

y498yates
    Participant

The rules were amended to encourage fbb's to look more feminine.  I think that this was a gross misjudgment in that reducing the muscularity isn’t necessarily going to make a woman more attractive or marketable.

To use Elena Seiple as an example, she’s an attractive woman with a great physique.  The sad fact is that I’ll bet dollars to donuts that if she went out and got breast implants and a better makeup artist, she would have won and been beating endorsement deals back with a stick.  The event organizers look at the success of women like Monica Brant, Rena Mero [Sable], Timea Majorova, and our newly unveiled Fahrenheit girl [Jelena Abbou] and think, “gee, maybe our women have to be smaller.]

It’s all part of the prepackaged mass market hooey we have come to know and despise.  Like it or not, it’s going to take the second coming of Rachel McLish or Cory Everson to turn the sport back in the right direction by drawing in the male spectators [just like Anna did for women’s tennis and Danica is doing for Indy car racing]. 

Where is Tetsuko when you REALLY need her?

David
    Participant

Elena already has implants. 😀

Rachel got a lot of work and exposure when she hit the stage, Cory much less and then it fell off completely. Even 95% of the fitness/figure women are ignored for 'fit' bikini babes.

While Anna Kournikova got a lot of attention from the media it's the Williams sister who have made afar bigger impact. They even have their own 'reality' show.

Danica is getting a lot of press but that's only because sensationalism rules the media these days. Janet Guthrie got a lot of media exposure when she was the first woman at Indy, an aberation or so the media felt. The second woman at Indy (Lynn St. James) got some sponsers but little else in the way of attention. Sarah Fisher got a lot of attention for being a young girl at Indy and now Danica is getting the same. Danica has a plus in that she's with a rlatively strong team so she stays in the coverage. meanwhile women in other motorsports are ignored. Few people know who Michell Mouton is. Some might know who Shirley Muldowney thanks to the movie Heart Like a Wheel but how many Know Angelle Sampey, Shelly Anderson (now Payne) Lori Johns, Erin Crocker or Erica Enders? And I'm only using Motor Sports as an example because I know it well. Outside of tennis and golf women's sports don't exist in the media unless your blonde and gorgeous according to some media mogul's sense of style.

The_Pimp_NeonBlack
    Participant

If ya'll wish to view something interest, in terms of the mentality of the judges of Female Bodybuilding (especially the Federations), then I's suggest you watch 30 to 40 minutes into the documentary Pumping Iron II: The Women where the IFBB are discussing the rules as the protain to femininity and muscle and how to judge both (with the emphisis on the former). It is interesting that the one judge who questions the term "femininity" is a man, whilst the only female judge is against too much muscle on the ladies in the show. This sentiment is also echo by several of the contestants when they are discusing Bev Fransis' enterance into the contest. It is strange to see that the smallest and less muscular of the ladies (who would not even rank as a fitness or figures model by today's standards) is the most against Ms. Fransis because she believes that she is not feminine enough to be in the contest. It si the two British contestants who show the most support for Ms. Fransis in this segment.
    But the most interesting statement came from one of the organisors of the compitition when he says (after being questioned why can there not be more muscular women): "We must do our best for both our sport and our girls". And this makes the grand assupmtion that they know what is best for the ladies involved.
    I's am only glad to note that they were all later proven to be wrong and Ms. Fransis' revolutionary physique helped motivate Female Bodybuilding to a new level. But that is only the opinion of this Flesh. Others may and have disagreed.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

BlackKusanagi
    Participant

Mr. Dobbins has a point, and the sad thing is, all we can do is send in letters, hoping the terrorists heading the council, release this 20% thing. Me being a fan, (young fan, but fan nontheless) It would be sad to see this great sport dead. I do hope justice is served…and quick…cause Im sick of all these figure…I didnt mind fitness, cause they were close to BB's…but if both of the higer ups are dying…then…all we can hope for is a solution for this horrific problem.

BK

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.