WinMorph Tutorial – quick and dirty

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rimmer8
    Participant

A repost incase some of you may find it useful:

Note: holding the mouse pointer over the icons on the toolbar reveals the names of the tools.

1. Get a picture up as a ‘new warp project’.

2. Use ‘Create rectangle’ to give it an outline – stops the whole pic distorting.

3. Use create ellipse to select parts you don’t want to distort e.g. face

4. Zoom and pan to part you want to warp e.g. bicep (well it’s just an example)

5. Use ‘create freehand’ to follow the curve of the bicep, don’t follow it too well.

6. Use ‘edit shape’ to drag the little white boxes around and adjust the length and direction of the green arrows until the line actually does follow the shape of the bicep.

7. Go back to ‘create freehand’ and draw a rough curve for a bigger bicep.

8. Fix up the curve as in (6)

Tip – make sure you draw both curves going in the same direction otherwise the results may be a little strange (actually very strange)

9. Use ‘Associate Shape’ to link normal curve to bigger curve.

Want to see what you have done so far?

Make sure preview mode is enabled – F6 or there’s a button top right with an indescribable icon on it. Then press the ‘Next Keyframe’ button (>|). If you have done it right the bicep will get bigger. Go back to previous keyframe when you’ve finished admiring your work.

10. Add more curves in other places that you wish to warp/morph.

11. Save what you are doing because WinMorph is not completely stable and may crash at any time during the process. (Well it did on my PC)

12. When all your curves are drawn and associated go to the button with a hammer on it (Warp Options) choose your saved foldername/filename(s) and extension (.jpg is the most common), set the precision (use high or Accurate), leave the frame rate alone, set number of frames to 4. Click OK.

13. Press the button with a green arrow on it (Render) – your PC will think for a while and then create 4 pics in the folder you specified. The first will be the same as the original, the last will be warped to the new shapes you drew and the others will be part way between. I chose 4 pics because I usually found the warping process had gone crazy at some point and an earlier stage was the best picture. You can choose as many intermediate frames as you like.

That’s it.

(This is of course just the way I use WinMorph to modify single frame photos and there are probably more elegant and sophisticated ways to use it which I have never found.)

Post some of your warps when you get the hang of it.

Rimmer 2004.

Huw
    Participant

Rimmer,

I tried your method, and the method described by the tutorials in the prog.

I think I have gotten the idea of how to create a muscle morph, now to put it into practice.

Huw

riodutchie1
    Participant

I’m primarily a mac user, does anyone have suggestions for mac-compatible software? I’ve been using GIMP which works ok, but the stretching/scaling capabilities are a little limited.

Muchas Gracias!

–Rio

Huw
    Participant

Rimmer,

I’ve been practicing my morphing on winmorph 3.01.

How do I save the finished artwork?

Huw.

rimmer8
    Participant

"finished artwork" sounds promising! 🙂

Steps 12 and 13 of my tutorial cover saving the work. What you do in the winmorph program is like a preview, you play around, change things, save the morphing process as a winmorph file (xyz.mrf) and when your satisfied you produce the finished picture by doing a render – the green arrow. Your completed morph is saved in the folder specified in step 12.

What I do is use the morphs to produce ‘parts’ which I combine in layers to produce an image in paintshop pro (or photoshop, etc.) So I might do one morph for the arms, another for the torso, another for the forearms. because sometimes the morphing processes contradict one another and its easier to do then seperately. But that’s a whole different subject….. 😉

Anonymous

is there any way you can post a picture tutorial on how to do this

rimmer8
    Participant

is there any way you can post a picture tutorial on how to do this

Yes, just send me your credit card details, I charge US$50 per hour and expect it will take about 6 hours to complete this.

But seriously, the guide above is for WinMorph 3.01, the steps relate directly to using the tools in the program, if you have the program it will not be hard to find the tools I’m referring to. If one or two of the steps are not clear then ask me a specific question and I will try to answer it. Usually for free 😉

I’m not an expert, I’ve just used the program for a while and wrote the guide to help out newcomers to the morphing game (more properly called the warping game).

rimmer8
    Participant

riodutchie1 –

I had a trawl around on google for Mac morphing software and didn’t find much. All I found that looked possible was Morpher for Macintosh download link is here:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~FX6M-FJMY/archives/morph20_sit.hqx

– I know nothing about it. 🙁

riodutchie1
    Participant

Thanks Rimmer!

I checked it out, it seems like it’s just for morphing one photo to another. I found another one after posting my question, Morph Age seems pretty good but it’s limited in it’s demo version. I’m searching around for just a warping app, hopefully I can find one and I’ll post it up when I find it.

–Rio

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.