Inside the Writers Studio: Stories – Still Relevant or Not?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    AlexG
    Keymaster

Simple enough of a question – this is something that I’ve wondered about for a long while now.

Back in the day, stories were a popular format of expression and used to see many authors posting their stories here on the forums. Granted the subject matter of the growth genre always has had a niche audience, but has the interest in reading faded, or just moved on to other venues?

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”
    ~ Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens (1907)

TC2
    Participant

I think there’s still a need and demand for stories but lack of an appropriate venue for them. Look at all the posters who were asking when Brawna would come back.

From my personal experience, I stopped reading stories because 1.) They weren’t good. 2.) They didn’t cover subject matter I was interested in. 3.) I don’t have time for long format stories anymore.

And I don’t think authors feel compelled to post their stories here because there is a general lack of interaction from the community. An author could theoretically post an FMG short and not get any feedback or comments. But Amaz0ns isn’t really for posting stories anyway. The whole reason Lingster created Brawna was to provide a forum to post stories, but obviously Brawna was too expensive to maintain.’

But in terms of interest or demand, I think there’s readers who want stories and I know for a fact there are authors who want to tell them. They just need a specific library or forum (that people frequent) in order to post them.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Thanks for responding.

When you say long format, can you better define of where you speak? I’m assuming, of course, that you’re referring to
    novel-length, but what about novella, or extended short stories? Would that be considered too long?

As for other venues, the only two that come readily to mind are 1) SuperWomenMania site, and 2) DeviantArt.

“I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.”

TC2
    Participant

Generally on Deviant Art, if I see someone has posted a story two things will happen.

1.) It will be short, like a page or 2 pages and I’ll read it only because it was short, not because it was good.

2.) It will be longer, so I’ll skim it to see if it contains great descriptions and a concept I’d be interested in reading. I remember a while back, I think a user named Historian or something, wrote a short about Wonder Woman’s muscles growing as she gets ready to have sex with Superman. The descriptions were great and the concept was interesting enough.

But I’ve yet to stumble upon any other stories which get me HOOKED. I would be more than happy to read a novella or extended short story, but the writing really needs to be stellar. I confess that I haven’t been looking for stories to read but that’s because of time limitations and, I don’t really like reading on the computer. Tires my eyes.

Avery Leckrone
    Participant

There’s a lot of truth to this- FMG fiction tends to be pretty lackluster (my own included) and the fact that there’s almost no critical review or comments on anything that gets posted, regardless of quality, doesn’t tend to make authors feel inspired to improve or post more.

Really, I would like to see more and better FM/FMG fiction, but what author wants to post into a vacuum? I know *I* don’t.

El_Roy_1999
    Participant

I’ve been a rather active author of female muscle stories over the last years, posting some of my stuff on deviantart and selling it on smashwords.
    I would post some stories here, but I understand this isn’t the place for it. If this is a misunderstanding, just tell me, I got plenty of free stuff to share.

For me, writing stories is easier than drawing (I’m pretty bad at this.). Also, I think that imagination is just more flexible and individual.

You can find the stories on:
    https://elroy1999.deviantart.com
    https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ElRoy1999

AlexG
    Keymaster

I remember a while back, I think a user named Historian or something, wrote a short about Wonder Woman’s muscles growing as she gets ready to have sex with Superman. The descriptions were great and the concept was interesting enough.

Yeah, I remember “Historian” – like a good many others, he (or perhaps he was a she) vanished into the ether.

There’s a lot of truth to this- FMG fiction tends to be pretty lackluster (my own included) and the fact that there’s almost no critical review or comments on anything that gets posted, regardless of quality, doesn’t tend to make authors feel inspired to improve or post more.

Really, I would like to see more and better FM/FMG fiction, but what author wants to post into a vacuum? I know *I* don’t.

I would strongly agree that feedback; both pro and con are important. Not for ego stroking kudos (although I suppose with some that is an aspect) but for whoever is taking out the time, and skull sweat to create a story knows that the work is not in vain. Simply checking the number of clicks that a given thread/post receives is not enough. Might be people, might by bots – no way to tell.

As for lackluster – that I would also agree with. Just how many times/ways can a growth scene be managed? At a certain point, there’s only so many ways to paint the sex and grow picture before it becomes a potboiler cliché. Long ago I avoided that path in favor of a full-bodied (no pun) sci-fantasy fictional adventure story.

This certainly has its advantages for the writer, since he (or she) is freed up from the limiting constraints of the sex/grow format. It also, admittedly, has its disadvantages – in that it usually is a novella or even a novel length story, which from my experience when I used to post stories, people (for whatever the reason(s)) take a pass on reading.

I would post some stories here, but I understand this isn’t the place for it. If this is a misunderstanding, just tell me, I got plenty of free stuff to share.

Only so long as they don’t violate the forum rules, which I’m certain you’re already well aware of.

Link: https://www.amaz0ns.com/component/kunena/Announcements–Updates/103313-underage-content-warning

Depending upon the storyline, there are three sections here @ Amaz0ns for stories: Growth Stories, Strength and Muscle Stories, and Fan Fiction.

Otherwise, one problem that you might run into (unless Lingster changed this at some point in the past) is a limit on the size/amount of text in a given single posting. Depending on the size of your chapter(s) you might have to split up and stagger them out over the course of several individual postings. Also, use the Preview feature to check beforehand. That way you’ll know if the post is going to be arbitrarily cut off.

For me, writing stories is easier than drawing (I’m pretty bad at this.). Also, I think that imagination is just more flexible and individual.

Oh, I don’t know, I’ve always felt that stories are superior to pictures, because as good as any artwork portrait might be, and many are extraordinarily great, they capture only a singular moment, and lack the progression of time, and especially the depth of character development.

As for easier – that depends. For some it does come easy. Others, many have a difficult time with writing, putting a couple of sentences together to form a paragraph is hard, to say nothing about crafting several pages worth.

El_Roy_1999
    Participant

So I’ll post some of my stuff soon.
    I also have an ongoing story on deviantart. I could share it here too, if that’s interesting.

As for the “writing growth scenes”-problem: Yes, that is a thing. There’s only so much you can do. However, I like to work on the premises and conditions of growth. Since most of this material is basically just a way to turn yourself on, the description of the actual growth scene is pretty irrelevant: It’s more about the buildup.
    That’s where I’m currently focused. Also, there’s the whole “Like a real novel, but with the sex scenes left in”-angle. I like that idea.

TC2
    Participant

I personally don’t mind repetitive FMG descriptions. Yes there are only so many ways you could say “her growing bicep strained her sleeve to near bursting.”

But I don’t mind that. What I do mind and what I’ve seen in most stories posted is that the descriptions are poorly worded or don’t have an appropriate build up. One short which I skimmed was about a girl looking at herself in the mirror, fingering herself, a quick (terrible) FMG description, and then it’s over after she climaxes.

It was an extremely boring and unimaginative read which lacked the drama of what -I- find exciting for FMG.

I like the situations leading up to the FMG, and sometimes, sure it can be something as simple as a woman touching herself. Or it could be a situation where her abusive boyfriend dragged her out of the house and as he’s holding onto her hair her chest muscles are stretching out her blouse and popping the buttons.

The most common and most boring one I’ve seen is of working out. 99% of the time, working out in videos and fiction is incredibly boring for me. It lacks the unnatural or savage aspect that I enjoy reading about in FMG fiction. Or if it’s not savage, it lacks the sexiness of a powerful woman using her new body for either sexual satisfaction or strength feats.

To put it simply, if her transformation isn’t a struggle (like a werewolf or the hulk), or if it isn’t sexy where she wants it and forces it upon herself, or it isn’t a necessary transformation to do something heroic, or it doesn’t lead to a rampage, I’m generally not interested. And some stories, mainly fan fiction, seem more interested in exploring the world and the characters and the FMG ends up being more of an afterthought.

No thanks!

Anyway, just a quick side note. I am trying to make time to rewrite one of my own FMG stories which is more in line with what I’m looking for in fiction. Will probably take me a few years to get it done but I really want to see the story finished properly.

AlexG
    Keymaster

Being that specific in what you’re looking for in a story,
    assuming that someone else is going to write it, well – that’s not going to happen.

If you want something done right, sometimes you just have to write it yourself. That’s what I discovered early-on. B)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.